Sunday, April 5, 2009

"SCHOOL OF FISH", blankie for Noah

I'm a typical Grandma. I love showing off Noah, now 6 months, on the blanket I made for his birth. Noah's mother is a Marine Biologist so a fish theme was perfect.

I found the ideas for the different fish "on-line", to purchase, to download or just the image. I paper pieced most. The greatest challenge came from the variation in block size. See if you can find where I had to fudge with the sashing.

I wanted the eyes to be 3-dimensional without being a safety hazard. I hand gathered circles, allowing the pulled edges to stuff the layers.

The idea for zigzag edges came from
Collaborative Quilting.

The backing again is flannel but as usual I didn't buy enough to allow for any problems. One edge was short because it was so off grain (thank you JoAnn's). My solution was this label that I eventually embroidered with Noah's birth date, weight, height, and of course name.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful quilt for such a cutie! Sure to keep him happy for years to come!

Janet said...

what a cutie Noah is. Of course you must brag! I love the fish quilt, it's so fun and you did a great job with it. Yourt colours are just right.

Krista Lucas said...

he IS a cutie, and loves his blanket. :)