Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"GEISHA"

When I found this Geisha fabric, I knew I had to design something original to feature these ladies. Finding my inspiration in Quilting with Japanese Fabrics by Kitty Pippen,
I mapped out my plan on graph paper. Of course not all the angles and pieces fit perfectly, so I added strips and triangles to fill in the gaps.

From
The Classic Quilting of Sashiko, by Ondori, I chose traditional patterns to quilt in the medallions with DMC cotton perle. In the background I used quilting thread to repeat more Japanese patterns and shadowed around the figures and garment details.








Designed & Hand Quilted by Aunt Janet for Abby in 2006

1 comment:

Karen said...

Wonderful quilt! I just love Asian fabric and am surprised how few quilts I see, made from it, on blogs.