Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Japanese by Adoption

My teacher friend and travel companion loves all things Asian, especially Japan. We were part of a teacher delegation to China 10 years ago and then 5 years ago traveled to Korea and Japan through UCLA/Freeman Foundation. Debbie's knowledge and enthusiasm for all things Asian shows in her classroom.

My goal was to make a retirement quilt that matches her adopted heritage.

I designed the pattern to focus around the geisha girls and to use fabrics from my stash. It still gets a black border and of course, quilting.

7 comments:

A Joyful Chaos said...

You are very creative and talented!

Barb said...

Wonderful! she'll love it. My daughter is a big all things Asian fan too.

pratima said...

Janet, it is a gorgeous quilt! The beauty of Geishas is a sight to behold and you have captured it so well with complimentary colors and fabrics. Your friend will be thrilled!

Crispy said...

Oooo she's going to love this quilt!! Very beautiful!!

Crispy

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

What a stunning quilt for your friend Janet. I love the red, black and gold together. xo

Canada said...

Moving and powerful! You’ve certainly got a way of reaching people that I haven’t seen very often. If most people wrote about this subject with the eloquence that you just did, I’m sure people would do much more than just read they act. Great stuff. Please keep it up.

Kim said...

What a terrific gift!
I bet she'll be thrilled!
Have you thought about putting a picture of the two of you in Japan on the label?

Happy sewing